Thursday, September 6, 2012

Panhandling

I transplanted myself from one side of the state to the other, without much thought at all really. I found a school, applied, and started packing when I got my acceptance letter. Well, not as soon as I got it, but rather soon there after it came. There's a lot to get used to in this new Panhandling life of mine, not the least of which is the fact that my job at the moment is to be a student. I'm used to working, but six classes and a deplorable job market means I get to live the life of a poor college student for a change.

Unless I want to take up dancing at one of the many Gentleman's Clubs. I'm not ruling it out, but I'd have to be pretty desperate.

But with so many classes, and two campus causes to my name (Students for Suicide Awareness - I'm the new Cruise Director - and the Gay-Straight Alliance) my first week and a half of classes has been hectic. And it isn't over yet. I needed to decompress, unwind, and just forget about everything for a little bit.

I knew I'd made the right choice in going to the gym when, as I got closer, I could hear the pep band practicing. Confession for the day, I was in the marching band in high school (I occupied the role of flaggot), and developed a strange love for marching band music. It's dorky, and just a bit odd, but it makes me smile. I was smiling on my way into the gym. True, I enjoy working out. I usually don't smile as I'm walking into the gym though.

That smile died as soon as I saw the line of adorable Baby Gays occupying the ellipticals.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I know what you mean about not having a job, I was in the same boat my first semester. If you think you can tolerate it, you might look into becoming an RA either over the summer or next year. I found it to be very challenging, but and overall positive experience. It also saved me tons of cash as they pay you in room and board. Not a lot of play money, but you can always get extra work as an S.A. With that job, you get paid to sit behind a desk. Lots of time to study. I also know someone who does ballet in the area and might be able to get you on as an instructor. You did quite a bit of dance at FCCJ, didn't you? Let me know and I will look into that option for you. You'd probably be teaching little girls, but at least it would be cash money, G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's an idea. I'm hoping to be finished up by the end of the summer term, but I'll have to look into seeing if I can snag one of those summer RA gigs. I'm putting myself through the hell of Hixon's Modern Grammar class in hopes of getting a Writing Lab position next semester. Yeah, I dabbled in most of the creative fields at FCCJ, I don't know how good I'd be at teaching little ones though. I'm (apparently) terrible with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, and I have one. Good luck with the writing lab. I could never pass the entrance test. Grammar is not my forte. If I had it to do over, I would have taken Hixon's grammar class as an audit just so that I would know the stuff without having to worry about the grade. Hindsight is a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a 60% on the test, but she's making us do lab work for all the questions we missed, so... That class seriously makes me feel stupid.

    ReplyDelete